B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering is a comprehensive degree program. This discipline is designed to provide analytical and experimental skills required for a wide variety of careers in Mechanical Engineering and also in other multi-disciplinary areas like Materials Engineering, Production Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Environmental pollution control, Computer sciences, Robotics and Management. The goal of the Mechanical Engineering curriculum is to create a flexible undergraduate with educational experience in analysis, design, mathematics, modelling, computing, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. This broad and flexible programme involves the production and usage of heat and mechanical power for the design, production, and operation of machines and tools. The Department offers academic programs at two levels i.e., Bachelor of Technology and Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Production). It also offers variety of discipline electives and covers most of the modern technologies. Furthermore, it has highly dedicated competent and well experienced faculty members. The department also has state of the art laboratories, to provide hands on experience and support in research activities.
To emerge as centre of excellence by producing mechanical engineers and technologists, who possess scientific temperament and would engage in design, manufacturing and research in thermal, production and design field.
The Mechanical Engineering Department is committed to:
– Provide efficient engineers for global requirements by imparting quality based education
– Create, explore and develop innovations in the fields of Design, Thermal and Production
– Enhance the skills of young minds so as to become globally competitive with entrepreneurial and managerial skills.
The department of Mechanical Engineering at SMS Institute of Engineering and Technology Lucknow focuses on comprehensive course curriculum with intense practical exposure and strong industry connect to students which will enable them to take up challenging roles in professional careers.
Our initiatives are aimed to transform education and build careers of our students with whole hearted acceptance from industries across the nation. We give equal emphasis on fundamental studies, practical exposure and industrial orientation. With the rapid rate of expansion in the industrial sector, the students after successful completion of their Degree or Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Production), are employed in a wide range of industries.
Mechanical Engineering Laboratories are well equipped with modern facilities, specialized software and provide state-of-the-art facilities for teaching and advanced research. They include-
• Mechanics Lab
• Graphics Lab
• Fluid Mechanics Lab
• Material Science and Testing Lab
• Thermodynamics Lab
• Machine Design Lab
• Measurement and Metrology Lab
• Manufacturing Technology Lab
• Heat and Mass Transfer Lab
• Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Lab
• Fluid Machinery Lab
• Theory of Machine Lab
• Internal Combustion Engine and Automobile Lab
• Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Manufacturing Lab
• Project Lab
Value Added Courses:
• Employment Enhancement Program (EEP)
• EEP- Technical
• Computer Numerical Control (CNC)
• Design software : AUTOCAD, PROE, SOLIDWORKS, CATIA,
• Analysis software : ANSYS, MATLAB
1. MECHERA - Collegiate Club, Department of Mechanical Engineering SMS IT, Lucknow.
Co-ordinator: Mr. Rahul Singh.
The annual participation in Club activities, results in:
• Improved creativity
• Expanding the network of connections
• Cross-Cultural Understanding
2. The students of IV year ME bagged 1st and 2nd prizes in the Science Exhibition on 19-21 November 2018 at Regional Science City, Lucknow.
3. Guest Lecture was organized on “Nano-materials and Micro-manufacturing “delivered by Dr. Andrew Rees, Head Department of Mechanical Engineering, Swansea University, Swansea, Wales, U.K. on 21 November 2018 by the department.
4. Faculty members participated in FDP (101x & 201x) by IIT Bombay from 13 September 2018 to 29 November 2018. Coordinator Mr Anoop K Singh.
5. Faculty members also participated in Two day FDP/Workshop on “Teaching Methodologies: A Quality perspective” held on 8-10 December 2018. Delivered by experts of various fields.
6. Students of ME II year ME III year participated in a Workshop on Automobile & IC Engines and its application conducted by IIT Varanasi on 6-7 October 2018.
7. Mr. Adhir Tandon (HOD ME) and Mr. Pankaj Yadav were awarded NPTEL certification in Non-Conventional Energy Resources (NCER) conducted by IIT Chennai and NPTEL certification and Gold Medal in Operations Research (OR) respectively, In the Odd semester 2018.
8. Faculty of the department also participated in Two day - All India Seminar on “Sources of Planet Energy, Environmental & Disaster Science: Climatic Disturbances & Its Global Impact” (SPEEDS – 2018) on 24 - 25 November 2018.
9. A group of Third year and Second year students from Mechanical Engineering Department along with two faculty members Mr. Anoop Singh and Mr. Aditya Yadav visited the Reliance Industries, Barabanki, Lucknow on 3 October 2018.
Head of the Department
E mail: email@example.com