School of Management Sciences (SMS) Library & Documentation Centre has established in 2008 around 5500 books including engineering & management. After around 11 years of existence, the number of books has crossed the 24 thousand. The Library has well qualified staff headed by a Librarian (IMS) and Librarian (IET) with the support of Assistant Librarians and other staff members.
The SMS Library is automated in its operations using the Soul 2.0 software and works on the DDC (22nd edition) platform. The Library encompasses an area of 706 sq meters and has two reading hall of capacity 150 (90 in IET & 60 in IMS). Two stack rooms (IET & IMS) hold the books and other reading materials in hard copies. Further, two rich repository of online resources have been made available to the users through the ‘e-Library’ in the form of e-books and e-journals also through DELNET and NDL (National Digital Library of India) of which membership exists regularly.
The Library has a well-defined policy for acquisition, usage and disposal of the learning resources supported by a faculty-led team popularly known as Library Coordination Committee, which is empowered to take most of the Library related decisions. The library accepts suggestions from all its stakeholders and decisions are taken on them if found beneficial to the Library services and users.
Rich collection of Books, Journals, Magazines, Newspapers, Audio-Visual Aids, Spiritual Books, NPTEL Videos, and Project Reports in Engineering & Management areas. Separate Stacks (IET & IMS Library) for Engineering and Management related to Books & Reference section.
BOOKS: 24967 (June 10, 2020)
• Engineering related: 15473
• Management related: 9494
TITLES: 5249 (June 10, 2020)
• Engineering related: 3145
• Management related: 2104
• Engineering related: 25
• Management related: 26
• EXCHANGE JOURNALS:- 43
• With Samriddhi-18
• With Adhyayan- 25
• Engineering Library: 09
• Management Library: 10
SPIRITUAL BOOKS: 120
AUDIO-VISUAL AIDS: 850
• Click here for List (IMS)
• Click here for List (IET)
PROJECT REPORTS: 300
• Click here for List
1. Computerized Transactions Using Soul 2.0 software.
2. Transactions through Barcode System.
3. Institutional Membership of:
• National Digital Library (NDL)
• Nalanda e-Consortium
4. Inter-Library Loan facility (ILL):- The Interlibrary Loan service allows SMS, faculty, and staff to borrow from other libraries if items are not available at the SMS Library through DELNET.
5. Daily Record Updation:- Entry and Exit records of faculty, staff and students, books issue and return (both offline and online), reference books issue and return, transaction report emailing to the CEO, Director, coordinator-IET & IMS.
6. Digital Harbor: - This caters to the needs of faculty, staff and students who wish to retrieve information through the ONLINE mode. A rich repository of e-journals (through DELNET), the available E-books (also through DVDs or CDs for books and magazines nos. 700) can be accessed. DELNET and NDL operations are available through the nodes (systems) present. Both these are also available to each faculty at their personal nodes.
7. Web OPAC:- Web OPAC has been provided at the Library Entrance for students (additional kiosks also available in the Computer Centers) where they can know exact status of any book. It is useful to avoid unnecessary footfalls and ease of operations.
8. Reprographic facility:-Reprographic facility is available to all students (against payment) and faculty members (free of cost) for utility concerning library stock.
9. Suggestion Box:- Suggestion Box brings not only the grievances from students but also requisitions for certain specific books, they are duly entertained by the management.
10. Safety Measures:- Safety Measures is the important issue for every library. Looking the need of safety measures our both libraries are well equipped with Fire-fighting tools and the Surveillance through 8 CCTV cameras operational in Reading Hall, Reference section and both stack rooms.
RULES & REGULATIONS
• The library is primarily for the use of faculty, research scholars, students, and non-teaching employees of the College.
• The privilege of borrowing books from the library is restricted to SMS Group of Institutions community only.
• On special request, outsiders (Students, Faculty, Research scholars of other Colleges) are also admitted for a short period for research with written permission of the Registrar, for which they should bring a requisition letter from the concerned Department.
• In order to streamline the activities of the Library, we all are expected to follow the below said guidelines which will not only facilitate the huge operations at Library but also veil us from any gratuitous discrepancy.
FOR MEMBERSHIP - Get registered BY FILLING APPLICATION FORM & submit at the circulation Section Issuance of books.
1. The books would be issued from the Stack Room by entering the details in the Issue Register with proper signature of the borrower. Books will be issued out only after due stamping at the Computer issue counter.
2. Members need to be present in person while issuance of books. They must ensure that entries in the Issue Register have been correctly done. They must also put their signatures in the Issue Register against each book loaned.
3. Reissue of the same book on expiry of time is possible, only in exceptional cases, and availability of sufficient copy of the same title.
Return of Books
1. Faculty and Staff members need to be present in person during return of the issued books. They must ensure that return entries have been done correctly.
2. Faculty members are requested to ensure that the books are properly re-issued / renewal done for updating library member’s record & also books record at the end of each semester.
3. All members should obtain a 'No Due' for any purpose after surrendering the library borrower card also paying any dues outstanding against them, if any.
4. All members should return the books borrowed from the library before they proceed on a long period of leave and obtain a ' No Due ' certificate from the library.
5. All issued books, by any member, must be physically return to the library 30thApril each year for annual inventory taking.
Note: All issue and return would be suspended during the 3rd & 4th week of May every year for annual inventory check.
Number of books and Loan Period
Loss of Borrower Identity Card & Books
• The Members are responsible for Library borrower card. Loss of Library borrower card should be reported to the circulation section immediately. Duplicate Library borrower card will be issued on payment of Rs. 50/- .
• Loss of book by the borrower should be reported to the Circulation immediately to avoid fine. Further, borrower shall either replace the book or bear its cost.
• If the replacement is not done within 15 days, the defaulter will be charged 2 times the cost of the book.
• If the book of a multi volume set is damaged or lost the member concerned shall be liable to replace the whole set or pay 2 times the cost of the same.
• Internet facility is open for the registered users of the Library only. No outsider will be allowed to use this facility.
• Users should produce the Library Identity Card at Information Desk and collect the same after browsing.
• Users are advised to make use of this facility only to support their academic and research activities.
• Requested to make way to the others to use the facility.
• Users should enter the name and other details in the register before browsing the Internet. Maximum time for browsing is restricted to one hour only.
• Users are advised to help in identifying unauthorized users, since this facility is for the registered users only. It is our collective responsibility, as far as the safeties of the systems are concerned. Please bring to the notice of the Librarian any misuse of the systems.
• The facility is available between 10.00 am to 5.00 pm on all working days.
• All the computers are equipped with the Electronic Surveillance Software to detect the Internet sites visited and searched by each user.
• Librarian reserves the right to stop extending this facility to a person found misusing, apart from initiating action as per the rules by the college Authorities.
• Reproduction of documents shall be monitored and recorded by the staff for the purpose, in the library.
• Photocopy of official documents need to be duly approved by the Registrar or the Director in absence of Registrar.
• Photocopy of personal documents shall be allowable on payment as applicable during the period.
• Members shall observe silence in the reading hall.
• Use of cell phone in the Library is not allowed.
• Members shall not engage in conversation in any part of the library so as to cause annoyance to any other reader.
• Members shall not spit in any part of the library.
• Members shall not write upon, damage or mark any book belonging to the library.
• Members are responsible for any damage caused by them to the books or any other property belonging to the library and shall be required to pay the penalty imposed upon them by the Librarian.
• The members caught tearing pages/stealing of books will be suspended forthwith from using the library facilities and further disciplinary action will be initiated against them by the college administration.
• Members shall not bring personal belongings (including Books and other printed material) and library books borrowed by them inside the library.
• Members leaving the library should stop at the exit so that the material borrowed or taken out of the library by them may be checked.
• Upon any infringement of the library rules members shall forfeit the privileges of admission and membership of the library.
• The Librarian reserves the right to suspend the membership of any member found misbehaving, abusing the library staff or behaving in an indecent manner.
NOTE- Use of Mobile Phones is strictly not allowed inside the library premises.
On working days: 9:30 A.M. to 8:00 P.M.
During Vacation: 9:30 A.M. to 8:00 P.M.
• SDILINE Services: - SDILINE is a form of CAS. The objective of this service is to keep the users well-informed and up-to-date in the field of research. SDILINE is the awareness service. It notifies the library users on periodically about new publications, report, literature or other data sources in subject in which the user has specified an interest.
• New Arrival Notification: - New books are shelved on the “New Arrivals” shelves for a limited amount of time (usually 1 year) in order that library users may have a chance to browse new acquisitions. These new books are shelved on the book stack.
OPAC (ONLINE PUBLIC ACCESS CATALOGUE)
NATIONAL DIGITAL LIBRARY: -Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) under its National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT) has initiated the National Digital Library of India (NDL India) pilot project to develop a framework of virtual repository of learning resources with a single-window search facility. Filtered and federated searching is employed to facilitate focused searching so that learners can find out the right resource with least effort and in minimum time. NDL India is designed to hold content of any language and provides interface support for leading Indian languages. It is being arranged to provide support for all academic levels including researchers and life-long learners, all disciplines, all popular form of access devices and differently-abled learners. It is being developed to help students to prepare for entrance and competitive examination, to enable people to learn and prepare from best practices from all over the world and to facilitate researchers to perform inter-linked exploration from multiple sources. The pilot project is devising a framework that is being scaled up with respect to content volume and diversity to serve all levels and disciplines of learners. It is being developed at Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.
DELNET:- DELNET was started at the India International Centre Library in January 1988 and was registered as a society in 1992. It was initially supported by the National Information System for Science and Technology (NISSAT), Department of Scientific and Industrial Reseach, Government of India. It was subsequently supported by the National Informatics Centre, Department of Information Technology, Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Government of India and the Ministry of Culture, Government of India. DELNET has been established with the prime objective of promoting resource sharing among the libraries through the development of a network of libraries. It aims to collect, store, and disseminate information besides offering computerized services to users, to coordinate efforts for suitable collection development and also to reduce unnecessary duplication wherever possible.
NPTEL:- NPTEL is an acronym for National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning which is an initiative by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) and Indian Institute of Science (IISc) for creating course contents in engineering and science. NPTEL as a project originated from many deliberations between IITs, Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) during the years 1999-2003. A proposal was jointly put forward by five IITs (Bombay, Delhi, Kanpur, Kharagpur and Madras) and IISc for creating contents for 100 courses as web based supplements and 100 complete video courses, for forty hours of duration per course. Web supplements were expected to cover materials that could be delivered in approximately forty hours. Five engineering branches (Civil, Computer Science, Electrical, Electronics and Communication and Mechanical) and core science programmes that all engineering students are required to take in their undergraduate engineering programme in India were chosen initially. Contents for the above courses were based on the model curriculum suggested by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and the syllabi of major affiliating Universities in India.
NPTEL LOCAL CHAPTER
NPTEL provides E-learning through online Web and Video courses in Engineering, Science and humanities streams. The mission of NPTEL is to enhance the quality of Engineering education in the country by providing free online courseware. SMS Lucknow, Library & Documentation Centre, had setup SMS-NPTEL Local chapter on Dec, 2015.
The main objective of this SMS-NPTEL Local Chapter is to create awareness and enable students to obtain certification programme which make them employable or a suitable person for higher education.
Click here for NPTEL Institute Home Page
SWAYAM NPTEL SMS LUCKNOW BULLETIN
About Bulletin- SWAYAM-NPTEL SMS LUCKNOW BULLETIN is an annual publication of School of Management Sciences, Lucknow. The objective of this bulletin is to inform and motivate the faculties & students related to activities of SWAYAM-NPTEL for NPTEL-AICTE FDP, NPTEL-GATE Preparation, NPTEL Internship, NPTEL Industry Associate, NPTEL Industry Oriented Workshop, Ongoing Courses, Upcoming Courses, Complete Courses, results Statistics & FDP also.
Click here for Latest Issue